Sunday, December 19, 2010

Gaming addiction

An increasing population of youth nowadays stuck on video games have raised concerns for parents, teachers and media. Parents and teachers are worried over the students becoming game addicts and may neglect their studies.

I recalled I was a game addict when I was in Secondary One. I loves to play MapleStory at that point of time. MapleStory is a free-of-charge,2D, side-scrolling massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed by the South Korean company Wizet. In the game, players travel the “Maple World”, defeating monsters and developing their characters’ skills and abilities as is typical role-playing games. Players can interact with others in many ways, such as through chatting, trading, and playing mini games. Groups of players can band together in parties to hunt monsters and share the rewards. Players can also join a guild to interact more easily with each other. My classmates introduced me to play this game and gradually I begans to love playing it. We will compete with one another for an example, who can reach the highest level within the shortest period of time. When your character in the game reaches higher level, you need to spend more time to gain more level experiences on defeating more challenging monsters to level up. Hence I will spend at least 3 hours a day playing MapleStory, hunting rare items and defeating challenging monsters. Peers influence can be one of the factors leading teenagers to become a game addicts.

If you are to win among your peers in the game, it gives you a sense of achievement. You will like to challenge yourself to reach geater heights in game.I was proactively in game and have neglected my studies. My parents have been nagging me to stay focus on studies and they implement measures to stop me from playing game but to no avail. When I failed most of my subjects during the first semestral examinations, my mind come to senses that I have to stopped playing games and concentrate on my studies.

My grades gradually improve after I put in the effort to kick off the "bad habits" playing long hours computer game. Now I think back to the past, I feel myself being foolish to have spent so much time on playing computer games which had nearly cause me to repeat a year in Secondary school. here are also effects of sitting infront of a computer for long hours. It is bad for health. You may suffer from back and wrist injuries. Your eyes-sights will also be affected also it will deteriorate.

I feel that teenagers are allow to play computer games to relieve stress from school works but they have to be disciplined. They should know what is the limit and when to stop playing. Parents are advised to supervise their children to prevent them from becoming a game addicts. I find parents and children should have more communication. Youths love to act rebellious, parents should speak to their children in more persuasive manner and should not manipulate.  Teachers in school can hold talks about game addiction. Media can also create awareness of game addiction as well. I hope that parents, teachers and media can work together to lower the population of game addicts.

Anti-Games Poster: "SAY GAMEOVER TO YOUR GAME!"
FROM
HO CHEE HOW

No comments:

Post a Comment